Update: 317 Girls Were Abducted From Zamfara School – Police

Unknown gunmen straightnews
Unknown gunmen

Fear has gripped the people of Zamfara State in Nigeria as 317 girls were abducted by unknown gunmen early Friday, February 26, Zamfara Police Command has confirmed.

The girls were abducted from Government Girls Science Secondary School, Jangebe in Jangebe, Zamfara State in Nigeria.

Straightnews had earlier reported Friday that more than 200 school girls were abducted by the suspected gunmen.

Zamfara State Police Commissioner, Abutu Yaro  said a joint search and rescue operation is already underway with a view to rescuing the 317 students kidnapped by the gunmen.

The team comprises the Force Commander of Operations, Hadarin Daji; Major-General Aminu Bande, Brigade Commander 1 Brigade, Nigeria Army Gusau; and other state government officials led a heavily armed Re-enforcement team to Jangebe to complement the ongoing rescue operation in the locations where the students were believed to have been whisked to by the unknown bandits.

The police commissioner, therefore, appealed to everyone to be calm as joint efforts of the police and other security agencies would surely lead to a successful rescue of the students.

Meanwhile, no fewer than 35 persons have reportedly been killed after suspected bandits attacked Sabuwar Tunga village, Dankurmi district in Maru Local Government Area of Zamfara State on Thursday night, February 25.

According to SaharaReporters, the gunmen stormed the community on motor cycles and unleashed terror on the defenceless residents. A resident of the community said the attack was well-planned and coordinated attack.

He said the gunmen after attacking the village carted away livestock and escaped to the forest.

“We have recovered over 35 bodies after the attack and many more residents have not been accounted for. They came at the midnight and opened fire on the village, shooting anyone on sight and burning houses,” the source said