Former Edo State Governor, Adams Oshiomhole has emerged the new National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC).
Oshiomhole was voted national chairman of ruling APC by delegates at the National Convention of the party in Abuja on Saturday.
He emerged the sole candidate for the position, after 14 others pulled out of the race to succeed John Odigie Oyegun.
The names of each of the unopposed candidates were mentioned by the Chairman of the National Convention Committee Governor Abubakar Badaru Mohammed of Jigawa State while the delegates in affirmation chorused “Yes.”
Oshiomhole was the first candidate to be mentioned by Mohammed with the delegates chorusing a aloud “Yes” in affirmation.
Mohammed then said: “Adams Oshiomole has won unopposed, so I want the congregation to affirm. Have you?”
The delegates chorused a loud “Yes,” to confirm the former Edo state governor as their choice.
Meanwhile, 11 other officers of the party had been elected unopposed as of the time of filing in this report. They are:
1. Ibrahim Masari, National Welfare Secretary
2. Tunde Bello, National Financial Secretary
3. Zakari Mohammed, Zonal secretary north central
4. Hassana Abdullahi, Zonal woman leader North Central
5. Nelson Abba, Ex-officio (North Central)
6. Abubabakr Ajiya, Zonal Secretary (North-East)
7. Isa Azare, Ex-officio (North-East)
8. Tukur Gusau, Zonal Secretary (North-West)
9. Nasiru Haladu, Ex-officio (North-West)
10. Mrs Rachael Akpabio, Zonal Woman Leader (South-South)
11. Misbahu L Didi, Representative of the physically challenged
A total of 42 positions are to be filled in all, the convention will be anything but a boring affair.
A total of 6,800 delegates are converging at Eagles Square, Abuja for APC national convention to elect national officers for 42 positions. Already, more than six candidates have so far stepped down in what they called ‘party’s interest.’