Marte Town in Borno State, which was under the custody of Boko Haram terrorists, has been recovered by troops, the Nigerian Army confirmed on Tuesday February 23.
Straightnews had reported last week that the terrorists had taken over Marte and hoisted their flag in parts of the town.
This came after the Chief of Army Staff, Major-General Ibrahim Attahiru gave the troops a 48-hour ultimatum on Sunday to recover the town.
“The troops backed by air cover from the Nigerian Air Force successfully charged through Marte town, destroying several Improvised Explosive Device (IEDs) and landmines laced across their routes and killing scores of Boko Haram/ISWAP terrorists and successfully recovered the town,’’ army spokesman, Brigadier-General Mohammed Yerima said.
A statement signed by Yerima added “The gallant troops are currently in total control of the general area. Details soon.”
On February 15, fighters from the IS-aligned Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) seized the town after overrunning a base there, killing eight soldiers, military sources said.
Hundreds of Marte residents had been trapped since ISWAP seized the town, security sources told AFP.
In November last year, thousands of people returned to their homes in Marte, having fled the town in 2014 because of the insecurity.
In what appeared as a reprisal attack, the Boko Haram insurgents fired rocket into Maiduguri, Borno State capital.
In the fresh attack, 10 persons were confirmed dead and 47 others injured on Tuesday night, February 23.
The insurgents stormed the city launching 10 rockets. Among the dead were nine boys playing football at Gwange, when rockets landed in the area.
Borno governor, Babagana Zulum, last night visited the hospital where the dead and the injured were evacuated shortly after the incident occurred.
He was told that 10 people were killed in the explosions that rocked the city and 47 others injured.