Army Sets Up Board of Inquiry to Probe Death of Captain


A Board of Inquiry has been set by the headquarters of 28 Task Force Brigade of the Nigerian Army to unravel the circumstances surrounding the shooting to death of an Officer and a Senior Non-Commissioned Officer in Chibok, Borno State.

During the shooting spree on Sunday, Silas Ninyo, an Army Staff Sergeant with enlistment identity (93NA/36/2608), shot dead Captain T. Mani, while allegedly attempting to stop him from beating civilians in Chibok.

Sergeant Nino was said to have also gunned down four other civilians before he killed himself with the gun.

Moved by the tragic incident, the Army yesterday constituted a board to probe the incident contained in a statement released by Army spokesman, Brigadier General Sani Usman, Sunday evening.

The terse statement read thus:”At about 12.50 p.m. today, the unit received a report that a staff was seen to be drunk and misbehaving to civilians.

“An officer was dispatched to the scene with a view to bring him back to base. The officer did his best but the SNCO refused several entreaties to calm him and be disarmed by the superior officer.

“Unfortunately, the Staff Sergeant shot the officer dead and then killed himself. Their remains have since been evacuated to a military facility. The BOI is expected investigate the incident and promptly turn in its report and findings in one week.

“The Nigerian Army is a disciplined and professional force with zero tolerance for any acts of indiscipline and misdemeanor.

“The death of the officer and the Staff Sergeant is painful and a great loss to the unit and the Nigerian Army.”

The late Captain Mani with enlistment number N/14430 was said to have received a distress call while providing security for worshippers during Sunday service that Staff Sergeant Ninyo was beating civilians for unknown reasons.

Moved to the scene and to free the civilians, Captain Mani was shot dead by the Staff Sergeant, who later shot himself dead after killing four others.

Corpses of both soldiers, added the situation report, are said to have since been deposited at a military hospital in Yola.