2 FUTO Students Die Of Generator’s Fume

Death straightnews
Death

Two students of the Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO) in Nigeria have died of generator’s fume while a third person is recovering at the hospital.

It was gathered that the FUTO students identified as Fred Eberechukwu, 22, Anele Stephen, 21, and Udeagbala Kenechukwu, allegedly put on the generator, locked their room and slept off.

The incident which happened at Jabulani Hostel, Eziobodo, Owerri West Council Area of Imo State on Thursday, March 4 led to their suffocation and ultimate death.

Spokesperson of the State Police Command, SP Orlando Ikeokwu, who confirmed the incident in a statement on Saturday, March 6, said the incident was reported to the Divisional Police Headquarters, Nekede/Ihiagwa.

“On March 4, at about 6 p.m, upon a report received at the Divisional Police Headquarters, operatives of the Division moved to Jabulani Hostel, Eziobodo, and met the three (3) occupants of one of the rooms, identified as Nkama Fred Eberechukwu “M” 22YRS, Udeagbala Kenechukwu”M” 21 and Anele Stephen “M” 21, all lying helplessly in the room,” Ikeokwu said.

The operatives broke into the room and immediately evacuated the corpses to the Federal Medical Centre, (FMC), Owerri where two of the victims were certified dead by the doctors on duty.

According to Ikeokwu, one of the victims Nkama Fred Eberechukwu was successfully revived, and is currently receiving treatment at the hospital.

He said preliminary investigation showed that the victims might have been suffocated as a result of the fume (carbon monoxide) emitted by the power generating set.

According to him, the deceased while sleeping, inhaled it as the power generator was placed directly by the window in an enclosed space, and the fume discharging pipe pointing directly to the window.

However, Imo State Commissioner of Police, CP Nasiru Mohammed has ordered an investigation into the matter, he said.